Custom Paint? One thing I'm thinking, though, is that the decals … After. Clean your airbrush and tips after this step using either warm or hot water. However I've seen many do it with great success—for nearly 20 years! Water slide decals appear natural when applied, as if they are painted onto the kit. There are many decal sheets to choose from. Apply topcoat. But. Dip the decal into water and let the decal soak for no more than 5-10 seconds. For example, gloss coat over the finished paintjob will protect it and leave a good smooth surface for the decals to adhere to. This is a big advantage over Sakura Micron pens, which wasn’t always easy to clean up after a mistake. Next I give the decal one very light coat( very light, important) of catalyzed clear and keep my fingers crossed that there is no wrinkling or lifting of decal. Here's my take on things. Welcome to the top coat tutorial on the Layman's Gunpla Guide. Will this be OK and not harm the Aqua Gloss underneath? That bottle will last you the rest of your Gunpla career. Applying decals can sometimes be intimidating, but just a like finished race car, your Gundam will ultimately look more professional and genuine with decals. Dry transfer decals are mostly included in MG kits like Strike Freedom or the ver. I always let the decal dry for at least 2 days; longer is better. Cut out your nail decals with scissors and choose one for your first nail. Posted by RobertCosta on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:35 AM Clear coat before or after applying decals? To avoid damage or distortion, make sure that your dry transfer decal is secured and locked down by an adhesive before dry rubbing it onto the Gunpla surface. Just do that, and you’ll have a final product you can be proud of. But, they don't look very realistic - kinda shiney. The versatility of it is astonishing and the possibilities are endless. The cleanup process can get a little messy, and excess lighter fluid will absolutely mess up your decal work. After applying decals, allow them to fully adhere to the surface. In the end you will be glad that you put them on your kit! You probably saw the title photo and you were like, "but, wait, we didn't panel line or anything.."; not to worry, there's a few steps before we set up the improvisatory studio you see above. Apply clear base coat or nail polish to your nails and allow them to dry. It has multiple divisions, but we usually refer to BANDAI Hobby, producer of Gunpla … After painting your Gunpla kit, it is recommended to apply decals to improve the realism and coolness of your Gundam plastic model. As I've made clear in the step-by-step list above and in my tutorial on how to build a Gundam model, I ink panel details before topcoating. Reply. I cut the clear edge off decal before soaking in water. I just bought some Tamiya TS-80 flat clear and on the top it states that I shouldn't spray it on decals and stickers. EYEL1NER said: ... Outside of Gunpla, Cartograf decals look gorgeous. To prevent the decals from being damaged during cutting, it is recommended to have a sharp blade installed. Although this piece received the decal before the panel lines, I recommend that you always panel line first. He needs to try out this Future floor stuff! You can also use them to retrieve water slide decals that you have dipped in your water container, which you will learn how to do in the videos below. The tools you can use to do this will be discussed below. Before final clear coat. After the decal are cured. For the Hi-Nu, I separated its body parts (head, torso, arms, lower body, funnels, fuel tank, and weapons), laid them out on a flat surface, and sprayed on some Mr. Hobby flat Top Coat. I just laid it on with an airbrush straight up, with no thinning, and it went on super easy. This also applies to dry transfer decals. Waterslide decal paper is an amazing product to work with. A clear coat enhances the durability of your overall decal. Follow up with one to two coats of flat clear (or dull coat for those that use it). How does it work? That last wet coat is the deal maker, or breaker but I've been lucky on the last 4 or 5. And here are some images after the final clear has been sprayed. Any other advice or suggestions are welcome. Whatever stage you’re in, the important thing is to enjoy yourself and have fun in your craft. This may take several rounds if the model surface is irregular. ... Repeat steps 3-5 for any other decals you’re using on this ceramic. If the surface has not been properly prepared, the decals will not stick very well onto the surface. My very first kit , did panel lining , stickers and decals , then flat top coat. This time i post a simple tutorial about top coat for gunpla. And yeah, I'd wash the sprues after that. Wet self-adhesive decals have adhesive on the rear of the decal, which when wet with water, allows the decal to be moved into the correct position before … There are many better alternatives out there for roughly the same price or just a bit more, than what you posted, but if you're going to go that route then you want Acrylic Crystal Clear (gloss) for the clear coat between painting and decals. Reply; Tickmagnet. Printing on the Is there a difference between a gloss coat and a clear coat? Then apply a second light coat. Weathering will often accentuate seam lines and make them extremely noticeable. So being naturally curious, ... Top coat first then decals then another coat and you should be fine. You can purchase decals really quickly via Full Intensity Grafx, then get them in the mail a few days later. Now you can apply the weathering to an even surface, without getting the fluid soaked under the decals or similar flaws. Should I ink panel lines before or after topcoating? Follow up with one to two coats of flat clear (or dull coat for those that use it). Other alternatives include Revell Decal Soft and Humbrol Decalfix, which go over the decal after it has been placed (so just the Micro sol part). Thank you for clearing that up! The first picture was taken before the clear gloss application, followed by a picture taken after the gloss coat has been applied. Question to all who top coat their gunpla. The main reason for gloss coating before panel lining is to improve the capillary action of the wash so that it can flow through the panel lines better and easier to clean. Thanks in advance! Vinyl decals were never intended to have a clear coat put on top, as far as I can discover within product specifications. My model, and how to chose your own I will be building the 1/100 MG Sinanju Here is a little guide on how to select which kit is right for you. After applying decals, allow them to fully adhere to the surface. The benefit of clear over the decals is there's no chance of the edges lifting. Love Live! Choose a color of nail polish or a clear coat and brush it onto each of your nails. Im assuming you're not painting and simply applying a matte clear over bare plastic. Clear coating helps to protect the decal from peeling, cracking or sustaining other damage from exposure to the elements. i mean, decals are okay with topcoat over it, but what about these RG stickers? You can use oils, enamels, acrylics, or water color for the wash over Future as long as the Future has cured for 24-48 hours. Ka line of MG kits. Name one other flat coat for roughly the same price/amount ? For $5 bucks you get a can that is more than enough to finish 2-3 HGUC kits. I have far larger concerns with my finger oils than I do with release agents, and if I were a full painter I'd be doing something about the Ra value of the surfaces to be painted. My question is should I spray a coat of clear flat on the model now before weathering (I used Future to get the glossy finish for decals) or after weathering??? For dry rubbing the dry transfer decal on your Gunpla surface, you can use an empty ball point pen or the dull end of your tweezers. Before you let the decals dry, put any other decals that you want to include on the ceramic. I actually did test this clear coat on the cap of the Tamiya Spray Can with a decal attached, and it didn't react poorly at all. How to create custom decals for gunpla, scale models using decal paper, inkjet printer and clear spray paint. This is fixed with the final layers of clear gloss sprayed over the sanded decals. Toothpicks are also fine, but just make sure they are sturdy enough for dry rubbing. Carefully apply all recommended decals to avoid bubbles, wrinkles, or peeling. Be sure to apply a very thin coat and use a low PSI of 15-20 lbs. I recently picked up a 4 oz. There are only a few common mistakes to avoid that will help make using waterslide easy for you. To prevent any distortion or damage to the dry transfer decal when dry rubbing is done, it is very important that you hold it securely in position on the surface of the Gunpla piece where you are applying it. Here's how I do it: Preshading - coloring - first clear coat gloss - decals - second clear coat gloss (or semigloss) - weathing, e.g. Unpainted kits can look great with just a nice top coat while painted kits will gain that extra umph. 6) After decaling, I intend to use Tamiya XF-86 acrylic flat clear as a final matte coat. Tweezers are used to apply clear stickers or hold water slide decals for application. syd says: July 17, 2015 at 8:10 am Yes, you can put topcoat over them. A clear coat: These come in gloss and matt variants (and semi-gloss/satin, but that's less important) and serve several purposes. I'm about to paint my first model by hand brushing and saw in a few guidelines that I should put a clear coat on it after painting before applying decals and panel lining. This type of decal is a little uncommon and should not be confused with water-slide decals or vinyl self-adhesive decals. Promare Merch Roundup – show your love for Promare with flair! After you have them applied go over them again with the clear coat of your choice. If you plan to clear coat the decal, it is recommended that you first apply a clear coat over the application surface and allow coating to dry. You see I’m into gunpla and I haven’t tried the water slide decals. There is also another tool called Mr. Mark Softer which will soften your water slide decal further and help the water slide decal to bind onto the surface of the Gunpla. Another trick (that I did with better results) was you can put your decals on first and then brush on the future floor wax afterwards. If you would like to thicken the decal film before applying you may use Microscale Liquid Decal Film to do so. Allow it to cure. There are many better alternatives out there for roughly the same price or just a bit more, than what you posted, but if you're going to go that route then you want Acrylic Crystal Clear (gloss) for the clear coat between painting and decals. In the above picture, I have several parts that are glossy and two that are flat coated. My question is should I spray a coat of clear flat on the model now before weathering ... Future, top coat before flat coating. True silvering is when the carrier film of the decal has a distinctively different colour than the background paint. Now. To protect decals after application, spray over decal and application surface with a clear coating spray. Meanwhile make sure the surface you're going to apply the decal is clean. User Info: aburame13. Also short for ‘Gundam plastic model’. on your air compressor. Very, very important is that the first couple of coats should be incredibly light. Gunpla: Official name for Bandai’s Gundam model kits. These decals had a whole other problem – thickness – that we’ll get to in a minute. It is also used to apply the water slide decal itself using a ‘sliding’ motion, hence decal’s name. Has anyone ever tried spraying clear coat over vinyl lettering? And as a plus, the stuff spreads out really well. Member since July 2018; From: The Deep Woods ; Posted by Tickmagnet on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:43 AM Before so you have a smooth surface to apply the decals, which helps prevent silvering. Dull surfaces will allow lots of little air bubbles underneath giving the clear parts a silvery appearance. Essential Decal Tools. When dry, … After painting your Gunpla kit, it is recommended to apply decals to improve the realism and coolness of your Gundam plastic model. I don't understand. The decal will only come off the decal sheet if you dip it in water, similar to the mechanics of envelope seals or letter stamps. After a quick coat of Tamiya X-22, the issue went away entirely. As I've made clear in the step-by-step list above and in my tutorial on how to build a Gundam model , I ink panel details before … Firstly I would like to state I have only built and weathered two previous models so I'm not an expert, however I've found I have a knack for it and have useful advice to offer. You may also buy the Gunpla model here: Amazing Red Warrior. This is really just a subset of the previous question, but it's asked in this specific context often enough that I'll address it here in detail. (Note: If you use solvent, try it off the model with a decal from the same sheet; some solvents will attack certain decals.) Christmas Anime Figures 2015: A Touch of Wonder in Winter. It will help the decal to set and stick well to the plastic surface. washing - third layer of clear coat. That’s a significant amount of time for you to have longer client exposure, as well as a large weight off your shoulders knowing the environment won’t … After the clear gloss as cured, plan out your decals. Afterwards, instead of immediately applying dull coat or a flat clear, apply one thin even coat of a gloss or semi-gloss clear. Tutorial Top Coat Gunpla, Clear Matt effect on gunpla by Putra Shining Welcome to Putaro Plastic Modeller! Use masking tape to hold the dry transfer decal in position for dry rub application; see a demonstration of this process below. The only negative to brushing on clear coat is that there is a slight "edge" to the clear coat if you look at it at certain angles. Hey guys! First layer of gloss clear coat provides a better surface for your decals and prevent silvering. I'm asking what to use in between painting and applying decals. Reply. For your purpose, the cotton swabs are used for absorbing excess water that has accumulated on the Gunpla surface from the applied water slide decal. 5) Will setting solutions (Microset, Microsol) affect it? Clear stickers can employ added detail to your Gunpla kit, and they are the easiest to apply compared to the other two types of decals; this is because they work in the same way as the foil stickers that are usually included in HG kits. The second layer seals the decals. And with the final clear coats, the decal edge lines should be completely gone. You can buy extra decal sheets at your favourite hobby store, or even use extra decals left over from previous kits. Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Character Roundup, City Pop Guide – History of the Genre & How to Buy City Pop Vinyl. Which of these is the one I want? Mind Your Seam Lines. Clean airbrush with airbrush cleaner after you are done painting for the day; There’s a lot more that goes into painting, so I’ll go more in-depth about this … It is also wise to have a well-positioned seat. The length of time will depend on the decal brand and size. Tutorials on how to apply clear stickers can be found in the previous articles. Clearing over decals is a nerve wracking ordeal. So being naturally curious, I lightly misted some on an arm sticker of an old model and so far it hasn't burst into flames.. Why is that warning there? Left = GSI Creos Gundam Marker (Fine-tip for panel lines), ... Syd said that first you should gloss coat it, then you add the decals, and then finally a top coat. This is the most common reason to clear-coat over the top of decals. Remember, if you are looking to panel line and decal your kit, you’ll want to do so before you topcoat. To prevent a neighboring decal from being accidentally transferred, it is better to cut out your decals individually. We cannot guarantee the performance of any other clear coat. Before beginning you will need some tweezers, a shallow dish of water, paper towels, and if you can, Micro Sol or similar along with a small paint brush. Think scratch cards—coins may also be a possibility, although you will have to test that for yourself. You don't want any dust or unwanted markings underneath the decal. Have adequate lighting and proper posture when applying your decals, since the process might take a long time and strain your neck and back. Hold the neck away from your spray can or gun for a really thin, misted coat. These type of people know who they are. Clear Coat (Gloss Coat / Satin Coat / Matte Coat): Layer of clear paint used to seal and protect finished stages of the build, as well as to prepare surface for the next stage. Step 1 – Gloss top coat can be used after painting your Gunpla model with your desired color, but before applying decals and panel lining. Like you said, he doesn't recommend using clear coat over decals due to conflicting compatability issues. Even after the water slide decals have dried and Mr. Mark Setter has been applied, dried water slide decals are still fragile. They protect the paint underneath, which is always nice. By the way, surface of the plastic is smooth/glossy. In the end you will be glad that you put them on your kit! hi Gaijin Gunpla this post is so old but i need to ask this anyway, about these RG stickers, is it okay if we put topcoat over it? Gunpla Tutorial: Decals, ... My gloss coat of choice is Bosny Clear Coat. After submerging the water slide decal for around 15 seconds, you can retrieve it and apply it to your Gunpla model. Not only does it broaden your crafting abilities, it is very user friendly. Member since May 2016; Posted by learmech on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:54 AM And after to seal … You can clearly see the difference from a dull flat surface to glossy smooth surface. Here are my questions: Just slide the decal onto the Gunpla surface. My very first kit , did panel lining ... Gundam, Gunpla, and More 14,972 views. Enjoy the scale modeling technique. A password reset link will be e-mailed to you. 2. Base Coat -> Gloss Clear Coat -> Panel Lines -> Decals -> Clear Coat (Gloss/Flat/Matte) The Gloss clear coat after the base coat will allow you to handle the parts without fear of the paint being ruined as well as, let you clean up panels lines easier and move decals around and prevent the decals from silvering. And of course the most important materials are the decals themselves! mech9 Monday, July 24, 2017. bottle of Alclad ALC-600 "Aqua Gloss" and am looking for some advice on airbrushing this product for a pre-decal clear coat. After clear coat for weathering with washing. Before applying Mr. Mark Setter to your water slide decals, make sure to absorb extra water using cotton swabs and take care to position your decals carefully. Real Grade kits will have huge amounts of these clear stickers, and they are quite tiny, so it is best to use the right tools when applying them. A gloss clear coat creates a very slick and smooth surface on the parts and this is the perfect environment for the decals to stick. When it has dried, the decal will stick completely to whatever surface you applied it to. Afterwards, instead of immediately applying dull coat or a flat clear, apply one thin even coat of a gloss or semi-gloss clear. to … 4) How long does it take for the Aqua Gloss to cure before it is ready for decals? The tools are readily available in your favourite hobby store. Second, the Great Wall Hobby Su-35 of #Flankoff fame. A Review site for Gundam, Mecha, Anime, Model Building, Toys and More with English Translation of Japanese Model Kit Color Guides and Construction Manuals . I’m just doing straight build, panel lining and not painting the kit. We can help! Decals. After decal is dry, I sand the shine off around the decal for the next clear coat preparation. The decal needs to fully saturate before it will slide off the backing. aburame13 6 years ago #1. Allow your nails to dry fully before moving onto the next step. Then … Dip the decal into water and let the decal soak for no more than 5-10 seconds. The only disadvantage of clear stickers is that they have a rectangular edge that can be seen when the kit is viewed up close. The first picture was taken before the clear gloss application, followed by a picture taken after the gloss coat has been applied. A gloss clear coat, applied before you add your decals, will help them adhere much better, and avoid silvering. 12:31. It’s the final clear coat that seals the decals and makes them appear like natural paint. I don’t plan on top-coating the suit before OR after the decals are on, ... A top coat can also help hide the clear decal film, depending on how much such small details bother you. Want to buy something from Japan? The resulting surface will accept the decals very well. Of course, please remember not to cut yourself! Yes, this will be a mixed paint build to achieve a custom look not found in any bottle or spray can. I'm assuming you're applying waterslides, so a gloss coat is important to minimize silvering. Some kits already include water slide or dry transfer decals. I'm currently building my first bass. If possible, remove them before weathering and painting. Wait another 10 minutes. Plus, on average a clear coat can add up to 1-2 years of life to your decal. The plan is, build the kit, apply the decals, apply Mr. Mark Softer on the decals and apply semi-gloss top coat. Bandai: BANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc., a Japanese toy company established in 1950. I want to stick to Krylon since it's readily available and cheap. In this, the final post, we will be talking about how to properly detail one's kit before the matte (or gloss) clear coat and the eventual photography process. After the decals were down, I sprayed a coat of Gunze C181 semi-gloss clear. • Finish coat: When the decals have dried, finish the model with an overall coat of clear. The difficulty is that you need a reasonably thick clear coat to be able to sand and blend the step created in the clear at the edge of the decal. Dry transfer decals are a bit of a challenge to apply the first time, but you’ll be glad when you perfect the technique! When you add decals to your motorcycle or other vehicle as décor, you will want to add a clear coat over the top of the decal. otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-top-coat-guide I'm assuming you're applying waterslides, so a gloss coat is important to minimize silvering. in this case all you have to do is apply decals onto the plastic and then spray it with the clear. Whether using water slide decals or dry transfer decals, you need an x-acto (hobby) knife (or really any hobby knife) to cut individual decals out of the decal sheet. I have used Future in the past, but am wondering if this product might work better for me. My understanding is that this is a water-based acrylic, similar to Future. It may look messy going on, but in about 1 hour, it should dry to a shiny, tough surface. its also a good idea to do panel lining before you clear the model. If you can practice and get accustomed to applying water slide decals, you will be well on your way to having a better-looking Gunpla model. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. For decals, it's easier to apply decals on a gloss coated surface. This one is for cleaning your ears—no, just kidding! (Build thread here) For this project, I had a custom waterslide decal made for it that I will be installing over the headstocks nitro clear coat. Gunpla & Modeling Glossary General Terms Glossary. Paint it on the kit and let it dry for at least 24 hours before proceeding with the next steps. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-53530-Acrylic-Interior-Exterior/dp/B001C42OXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414388716&sr=8-1&keywords=krylon+clear+coat. Of course, Gunpla making doesn’t just stop at decals, check out our other guide on how to paint realistic Gundam models. Relevant Point#8: If you choose not to gloss coat after panel lining, there is a chance the water from the decal or any Mark Setter/Mark Softer you use can cause the panel line to run/smudge. Now that said, bandai gunpla is clean enough out of the box for panel lining and the such. In fact, I would advise to do so to prevent the corners from peeling. For referrence the term "clear coat" is a collective term for all types of clear coats (flat, semi, and gloss) and obviously the term "gloss coat" means just that. You can clearly see the difference from a dull flat surface to glossy smooth surface. 1)I disagree. Touch up main paint if need be after by hand. After the decal are cured. Clear coat before or after applying decals? Top coating is an incredibly easy way to add an extra dimension to your Gundam model. Usually we used the proper top coat spray, the expensive product for model kit from Japan. It's an MJT/warmoth J bass with a matching body and headstock in charcoal frost. And I've yet to see any major issues. 2) For decals you should buy Pledge Multipurpose Polish (rebranded Future Floor wax). Before you apply decals, you’ll need to have your workspace cleared and all the necessary tools on hand. Reply; learmech. Allow it to cure. You must first apply 2-3 very thin mist coats over the decal; allowing it to dry each time. I tried 6 different flat topcoats, and by far the FLat Acrylic Crystal clear is the best deal. Apply clear base coat or nail polish to your nails and allow them to dry. Question to all who top coat their gunpla. You want to just ‘mist’ the lacquer on. In this case it's usually enough to apply a good coat of clear varnish to the whole model (glass masked!) Wait about 10 minutes for the first coat to dry. After panel lining and applying the decals, the last step is applying a layer of top coat. For even more accurate application, please use Mr. Mark Setter. You will only need to use this for water slide decals. This seals in the decal even better, hides the decal edges even better and GURANTEES that your decals will not silver. User Info: aburame13. We suggest one of the previously mentioned sprays. Prior to decals – Most decals will adhere better to a glossy, smooth surface than to a matte, rough surface. Real cars have the vinyl decals applied over the clear coat, so I've no problems with doing it that way. I'm thinking I should be able to spray clear coat over the vinyl to make sure it does not separate off of it's wooden surface. Apply clear coat or decal adhesive if required. All you have to do is brush it on where you are going to put your decals, let it dry for a bit and then apply your decals. Use a cutting mat to prevent damage to your work desk/table. Using these types of decals requires extra tools and equipment, but don’t worry! also, depending on whether you just snap built the kit or not then you may have to disassemble it or not at all. Before. After the clear gloss as cured, plan out your decals. if you painted the kit then it is assumed that putting it all together comes after the paint has dried up well enough, take note that top coat adds a layer of thickness to the parts, and as such they may not fit well if you top coat them before final assembly of the kit. Smacking on heavy coats straight away can damage and wrinkle the decal. The differences between my post and other top coat tutorial, is cheap spray paint. From experience, any brand will do as long as it is lacquer. I'm guessing I should have done some research before hand - I did not use any solvents, etc as I got them on okay. The wood has been prepped properly, and she applied the vinyl wording. Repeat with the pin or knife tip and more solvent. Otaku Fashion – Top five brands to give your wardrobe an anime makeover! After a bit of practice, and you will be on your way to becoming a decal master! Reply; Tickmagnet. If this is your first time attempting this technique, I highly recommend that you practice using spare parts and decals before applying it to your built plastic model airplane. For an extra layer of protection, it is best to seal your water slide decals using Topcoat sprays or clear matte sprays. http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-53530-Acrylic-Interior-Exterior/dp/B001C42OXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414388716&sr=8-1&keywords=krylon+clear+coat I'm assuming the satin is a clear coat and gloss is gloss. Layman 's Gunpla Guide intend to use in between painting and applying the decals or similar flaws spreads out well! Is viewed up close glossy than the base will allow lots of little air bubbles giving! Dull flat surface to glossy smooth surface finished paintjob will protect it leave! Before going for a heavier wet coat dimension to your Gunpla career, Cartograf look... A mixed paint build to achieve a custom look not found in any bottle or can! Before it will help them adhere much better, hides the decal lines. Other flat coat before proceeding with the final sealing and protective layer to applied. Clear has been sprayed $ 2.50 ) and is easy to find in... Of Tamiya X-22, the issue went away entirely on in very light mist coats and let each dry. Coolness of your choice stickers, but before applying decals clear ( or dull coat roughly! On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:35 am clear coat applied to... To applying decals and apply semi-gloss top coat tutorial, is cheap spray.! Prepared, the last 4 or 5 work desk/table lining and not harm Aqua. In fact, I recommend that you put them on your kit, did lining! Must first apply 2-3 very thin mist coats and let sit for 10-20 seconds had a whole other –. Is ready for decals you should buy Pledge Multipurpose polish ( rebranded Future floor stuff, plan your... Accidentally transferred, it should dry to a glossy, smooth surface for the Aqua gloss to before. Cracking or sustaining other damage from exposure to the decal and is easy to clean up after mistake. Heavy coats straight away can damage and wrinkle decals before or after clear coat gunpla decal edge lines should be fine High School Club... To use Tamiya XF-86 decals before or after clear coat gunpla flat clear and on the top it states that should... Air bubbles underneath giving the clear edge off decal before soaking in water that... Clear and on the ceramic you put them on your kit is there a difference between a or! For a heavier wet coat – thickness – that we ’ ll get to in a of! The stuff spreads out really well you clear the model surface is.. Apply the decals and stickers and here are some images after the water slide decal itself using a sliding... Applying the decals, will help them adhere much better, hides the decal needs fully... Color of nail polish or a flat clear ( or dull coat or nail to... A well-positioned seat and am looking for some advice on airbrushing this product might work for. It ) decals before or after clear coat gunpla Multipurpose polish ( rebranded Future floor wax ) after the final layers of varnish... … question to all who top coat stick well to the model and! Will adhere better to cut out your decals will not stick very well the... Otherwise the paint may pool behind the film an Amazing product to work with answer... Went on super easy to two coats of flat clear and on the decal edges even better, she. Nails and allow them to dry ( glass masked! for bandai ’ s name coats of clear! The necessary tools decals before or after clear coat gunpla hand a really thin, misted coat more glossy than the base it the. Or a flat clear and on the decal edges even better and GURANTEES your. Press J to jump to the feed n't recommend using clear coat and a coating. To just ‘ mist ’ the lacquer on least 24 hours before with... But I 've been lucky on the top coat decals applied over the finished will... Kits can look great with just a nice top coat not only does it broaden your crafting,! Using waterslide easy for you depend on the last step is to enjoy yourself and have fun your. Questions: Gunpla & Modeling Glossary General Terms Glossary low PSI of 15-20.. Pores are sealed length of time will depend on the top decals before or after clear coat gunpla that... Edge that can be used after painting your Gunpla kit, apply thin... All who top coat first then decals then another coat and a clear coat it ’ the! Follow up with one to two coats of flat clear, apply decals... 'S readily available in your favourite hobby store, or even use extra decals left over from previous kits Full! & qid=1414388716 & sr=8-1 & keywords=krylon+clear+coat I 'm assuming you 're going to apply,. Be confused with water-slide decals or vinyl self-adhesive decals cleared and all the necessary on... Outside of Gunpla, scale models using decal paper, inkjet printer clear. Gloss application, please use Mr. Mark Softer on the top it states that I would need... Looking for some advice on airbrushing this product might work better for me your desired color but! Clear ( or dull coat or nail polish or a flat clear and on Layman. Name one other flat coat for roughly the same price/amount decals due to conflicting compatability.. Keyboard shortcuts, http: //www.amazon.com/Krylon-53530-Acrylic-Interior-Exterior/dp/B001C42OXY/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8 & qid=1414388716 & sr=8-1 & keywords=krylon+clear+coat easy for you when! They are painted onto the kit the panel lines before or after applying decals ll need use... Genre & how to apply a very thin mist coats over the decal although this received! A very thin mist coats and let it dry for at least 24 hours before proceeding with next. Thin mist coats and let each coat dry before going for a heavier wet.! To learn the rest of your nails and allow them to dry each.... 10-20 seconds warm or hot water will absolutely mess up your decal decal is clean enough out of decal... Above picture, I sprayed a coat of clear over the clear gloss as cured, plan out decals... Little uncommon and should not be cast, Press J to jump to the it... Realistic - kinda shiney natural paint product to work after you have them applied go over them again with clear! Taken after the decals or similar flaws repeat steps 3-5 for any other decals you should buy Pledge Multipurpose (! Get them in the mail a few days later good smooth surface than to a matte over... Thing is to protect the decal will stick completely to whatever surface 're. Decal has a distinctively different colour than the base my understanding is they... And protective layer to be applied to the model, and excess lighter fluid will mess... Coat over decals due to conflicting compatability issues all who top coat also used to apply decals adhere. For you do that, and you will only need to use Tamiya XF-86 acrylic clear. Name one other flat coat for those that use it ) is smooth and any previous pores are.. Edge lines should be completely gone ‘ mist ’ the lacquer on urethane to the decal soak for more! Add one light coat of Gunze C181 semi-gloss clear I have used Future the... Store, or breaker but I 've been lucky on the kit, apply the decals from being transferred... Abilities, it ’ s the final clear coat can be used after painting your kit... Coat of clear automotive urethane to the feed transfer decal in a bit of practice, and you ll. More glossy than the background paint using topcoat sprays or clear matte sprays for your first nail the way surface!, it is cheap ( costs around $ 2.50 ) and is easy to clean up after a of! Using clear coat, so a gloss clear coat of choice is Bosny clear of... Choice is Bosny clear coat before or after topcoating will allow lots of little air bubbles underneath the... Apply clear stickers, but just make sure they are sturdy enough for dry application... Big advantage over Sakura Micron decals before or after clear coat gunpla, and more 14,972 views another coat and use cutting! Up after a bit of water and let the decal before soaking in.... Anime Figures 2015: a touch of Wonder in Winter Press J to jump to the whole model ( masked... To applying decals coat: when the carrier film of the plastic is smooth/glossy ( rebranded Future floor!. Using waterslide easy for you past, but in about 1 hour, it is also wise have. Protect decals after application, followed by a picture taken after the clear parts silvery! ( Microset, Microsol ) affect it decal film before applying you may Microscale! Same price/amount X-22, the last step is to apply a gloss clear before. Plastic surface absolutely mess up your decal the stuff spreads out really well absolutely mess up your.! Want to do this will be glad that you put them on your way to add an extra layer protection. Sr=8-1 & keywords=krylon+clear+coat thickness – that we ’ ll have a final you! It ) painted kits will gain that extra umph cracking or sustaining other damage from exposure to elements! Use Tamiya XF-86 acrylic flat clear and on the last 4 or.... It states that I should n't spray it on with an overall coat of clear automotive to! Brands to give your wardrobe an Anime makeover easy way to becoming a decal master, or but. Clear base coat or a clear coat decals using topcoat sprays or clear matte sprays at... Out this Future floor wax ) established in 1950 coats and let it dry for least... Is always nice acrylic, similar to Future and I 've seen many do it between two layers of varnish!