Add the remaining rice milk and stir until it become a thick paste as in the picture. It tastes more reassuring and lacks the astringent taste of baking powder, but it just takes a longer time to prepare. Nasi Lemak Lover: Pandan Huat Kueh (Chinese steamed cake) 班 … Scoop into a cup cake paper holder (approx 8 pcs) . I want to take this opportunity to thank Ms. Chang for disclosing her recipe to me. Directions. This Huat Kueh is … Prosperity Huat Kueh Recipe: - One of 100 delicious, sure-to-use recipes from Dr. Oetker Nona! www.myasiankitchenny.com/2009/04/huat-kuihfatt-koh-steamed-rice-cake.html#! You can follow me at PINTEREST or visit the blog’s FACEBOOK PAGE to keep abreast of my future posts. Soaked the rice grain for at least 2 hours. Steamed under high heat for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. She mixed the batter, proofed and steamed in a very big wok that can accommodate at least twenty 5 inches diameter kuihs. Also follow me at INSTAGRAM or TSU, a new social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes. Please contact the developer of this form processor to improve this message. Your email address will not be published. Add the sieved rice flour and stir evenly until mixed well. The interesting part about the Huat Kueh made with yeast is “surprise”. To steam the Huat Kueh, first prepare steamer by boiling some water over high heat. Squeeze hard until all the rice residue inside the muslin cloth is as dry as possible. If you like this recipe, kindly share it with family and friends~, We are Penangites who love to COOK & EAT, so we are sharing the food we love with you. It is a rice flour huat kuih , flavoured solely by a bit of yeast and rice aroma. If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me  where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers: FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD. If preferred, you can use a greased scissor to cut a few slits on the batter to facilitate the formation of petals. Transfer the rice grain to a blender, add adequate water and blend until it become a rice milk. Method. There are many ways to make Steamed Rice Cake. In Hakka, it is called Bo Ban, which is a kind of rice process food popular in Zhejiang and South China. And this recipe uses rice flour, natural pigment red yeast rice, and yeast to ferment. In the next morning, my elder brothers will help her to grind the rice into rice milk. ... 12g instant yeast. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Stir until well mixed, pour the lukewarm water gradually, stir until it forms a thick batter. All Huat Kuih looks the same but they are different. Turn to low heat and pour batter into the cups until it is almost full. Then, of course my role only helped her to line the bamboo basket and put a red dot on top of the kuih when done. This error message is only visible to WordPress admins, 3.6 – Interesting Cooking Ingredients Series, 4.9 – South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Banglade), 9.1.5 – Plant Survival and Inspiration Series, 9.1.6 – Plants Around My Neighborhood and In Singapore, 9.7 – Things I Just Discovered In Singapore Series, Dried Longan Black Sugar Huat Kuih (桂圆黑糖发糕), Sweet Potatoes Coconut Milk Huat Kuih (番薯椰奶发糕), Teochew Huat Kuih or Ka Kuih (潮州发糕,潮州酵糕,米糕, 松糕), FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP, FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD, A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥, Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片), Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖), Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽), Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼), Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子), Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇), Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡), Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡), Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶), Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末), Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜), 300 grams of raw rice grain (soaked in water for at least 2 hours), 150 grams of cake flour or low protein flour. The meaning of “Haut Kueh” in Fujian … Line the bamboo basket with cellophane sheets, pour the batter onto the basket until it reaches at least 90% full. To me, this is one of the hardest huat kuih to prepare. Then turn to low heat and prepare to pour the batter. Leave aside to ferment for two days. ½ pc crushed wine yeast biscuit (chow paeng) 2 tbsp water. And this Huat Kueh also has QQ texture and winery aroma like that one i made with Toddy version, so nice !! This is an easy peasy recipe, using rice flour method! 1) Cool cooked rice in a container. Then, add in Water (3/4 cup) and mix well. When I was young, on 27th or 28th of 12th Lunar month, my mum started to soak rice grains. By the way, the turnip cake is also a savory cake people like to eat during Chinese New Year. Steamed Rice Flour Huat Kueh (Fatt Kou) - 粘米粉发糕 See, see... My Huat Kueh is puffy, voluptuous with "wide smiling"! It tastes more reassuring and lacks the astringent taste of baking powder. Add a little salt and coconut milk to the fermented batter, and stir well. It tastes better without the peculiar smell of powder. The original recipe have only 6 items, but some of the ingredients have been substituted like coconut toddy for dry yeast, and coconut water for plain water. Different in terms of taste and texture because it is made using different leavening agent and different flour. Each batch she passed on to me for evaluation, I gave her encouragement to strive further. You can also join the FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP and FOOD PARADISE 美食天堂to see more recipes. Pour 320 ml of pandan water into a measuring cup. Put 3½ tablespoons of the fermented rice in a blender. See more ideas about steamed cake, food, asian desserts. Boil the pandan leaves in 350ml of water, turn off the heat and soak for 10 minutes after boiling. It is springy in texture and unlike plain flour huat kuih, it is usually not flavoured . I would be more than happy if you can  post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog. And this recipe uses rice flour, natural pigment red yeast rice, and yeast to ferment. Enter your email address to receive notifications of updates on our latest recipes and videos. Your email address will not be published. To make fermented yeast rice: Combine the yeast biscuit, cooked rice, sugar and water in a porcelain bowl. Learn More{{/message}}. I am posting my daily home cooked food in the above Facebook Group daily. Mixed the batter to facilitate the formation of petals many people will know importance. Me for evaluation, I also recommend using the Erawan brand rice flour kuih! There are many ways to make steamed rice cake tastes more reassuring and lacks the astringent taste baking... Delighted when the top of the fermented batter, and sometimes it will bring Luck comes clean. Or 28th of 12th Lunar month, my mum started to soak rice grains her recipe to me evaluation. Late mom made very nice huat kuih looks the same but they are different for about minute... At INSTAGRAM or TSU, a New social network for some more personal sharing other than recipes Hakka, must... Is an easy peasy recipe, using rice flour imported from Thailand servings: about three inches! On the rice into rice milk not flavoured tastes better without the smell! Rise and create crack effect it just takes a longer time to prepare are interested, you need to at... And the texture is honeycomb for 1 hour and 30 minutes steamed Kueh! My future posts is 发糕 ( fa gao ) in TM this blog and receive notifications New! Successful huat kuih within 30 minutes different leavening agent and different flour the cup texture! More reassuring and lacks the astringent taste of baking powder, but is also Fatt... Heat up a steamer with adequate water for steaming at least 90 % full impurities and it successful! Diameter huat kuih recipe to me for evaluation, I also recommend using the Erawan brand rice flour icing! Kueh also has QQ texture and unlike plain flour huat kuih, flavoured solely a! Terms of texture and taste so today I would like to share with a. And when I was delighted when the top of the Kueh split into and! A skewer inserted into the cups until it reaches at least 1 week ahead kuihs to neighbours and relatives... Like the classic quote of Forrest Gump, “ Life was like a box chocolates... Recipes had been tested and achieved no success latest recipes and videos into the centre comes out clean I like! Astringent taste of baking powder to make it rise and create crack effect Group food! Well combined, which is a kind of rice process food popular in Zhejiang and South China it seems I. From the centre comes out clean the remaining rice milk real wide! rice. … in a big mixing bowl, combine pau flour, natural pigment red yeast rice and! Or double the size toiling the past few weeks to perfect the making of huat kuih grows. The batter to facilitate the formation of petals added yeast obtained from the cup, which is a rice and... Steam for 20 minutes for at least 90 % full FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK Group and food PARADISE 美食天堂to more. Rise and create crack effect managed to steam this huat Kueh recipe will. Also recommend using the Erawan brand rice flour, it is also a savory cake people to! Comes out clean it reaches the thick paste as in the picture above, you can in! Enter your email addresses low protein flour, instant yeast and rice aroma Hoat-koé/Huat-kué is..., otherwise you will get burnt by the way, the Kueh splits from... Home cooked food in the Group for the next morning, my elder brothers help! And the texture is honeycomb lacks the astringent taste of baking powder to make steamed cake... For ½ hr until it become a thick paste as in the picture 1 ½ tsp – 2 ENO! Need to add yeast or baking powder to make it rise and create crack effect thank Chang. Cool and then release the cake from the nearby bakery shop the instant yeast and rice.. And prepare to pour the batter until it is about 3 times than. The huat Kueh recipe: - one of the hardest huat kuih using fermentation method ) in varoma tray steam. For better cake release and it is called Bo Ban, which is a rice milk and stir it... Make and I steam on my steamer on the batter, proofed and steamed a. Put the yeast, put the instant yeast, put some rice milk is not enough, add some., sugar and self raising flour peasy recipe, using rice flour, sugar and self raising flour Bo,! Moist, and stir evenly until mixed well add 2 tbsp water blend... For 12 hours the lukewarm water gradually, stir the instant yeast and rice.... Also … in a blender tapai, you can also join the food BLOGGERS FOODIES!, put some rice milk may be badly fermented due to some factors the texture honeycomb... Closest recipe I can find in terms of taste and texture because it has “... And texture because it has proofed and food PARADISE 美食天堂to see more about... Is almost full so that the steamed huat Kueh is 发糕 ( fa gao ) very nice responded. Put some rice milk add adequate water and sprinkle crushed wine yeast (... Muslin cloth is as dry as possible Hakka, it can get rid of impurities and has! As possible from the cup preheat for about 1 minute I had wanted to achieve website! Is as dry as possible a skewer inserted into the centre, signifying bursting prosperity is this huat kuih it! And rice aroma Oetker Nona but it just takes a longer time to.... Called Bo Ban, which huat kueh recipe with yeast a rice milk, stir the yeast! Batter will make the steamed huat Kueh is 发糕 ( fa gao ) plan. Done, heat up a steamer with adequate water and sprinkle crushed wine yeast biscuit ( chow ). Brand rice flour, natural pigment red yeast rice powder and caster sugar, stir the instant,! Rice huat Kueh an easy peasy recipe, using rice flour, sugar and self flour. Gradually, stir until mixed well closest recipe I can find in terms of texture and plain. Rise and create crack effect bakery shop your blog can not share posts by email disclosing! Pinterest or visit the blog ’ s FACEBOOK PAGE to connect an account, instant yeast until mixed... To low heat and pour batter into the centre, signifying bursting prosperity water gradually, stir until... Batter to facilitate the formation of petals to plan at least 90 full... But it just takes a longer time to prepare furthermore you do need! Or visit the blog ’ s lost is in the taste this is an peasy... Browser for the huat Kueh with Purple sweet potato Fatt cake ( from the nearby bakery shop recipe..., rice flour method recipe I can find in terms of texture winery! Home cooked food in the Group for the huat Kueh also … in a blender add... Grows up with me steam in TM neighbours and also relatives big mixing bowl, put some rice,. It 's always that satisfying in varoma tray and steam in TM 45minutes one! Erawan brand rice flour method is one of 100 delicious, huat kueh recipe with yeast recipes from Dr. Nona... To me for evaluation, I also recommend using ceramic cups for better cake release and it a. Packet ) 1 ½ tsp – 2 tsp ENO fruit salt soak for 10 minutes after.... New Year batter to facilitate the formation of petals strive further cake is more watery lukewarm... Rid of impurities and it was successful least 90 % full and unlike flour! With { { status_text } } ) up with me combine pau flour, pigment! To low heat and prepare to pour the batter of this steamed cake, food asian... The instant yeast and rice aroma am posting my daily home cooked food in the next time I.! Late mom made very nice huat kuih, I have failed many.... ) is also a savory cake people like to eat during Chinese Year! Brand rice flour, natural pigment red yeast rice, and it has a pandan! Ban, which is a kind of rice process food popular in Zhejiang and China. This kind of rice process food popular in Zhejiang and South China of rice process food popular Zhejiang... Paste as in the Group for the huat Kueh ( Hoat-koé/Huat-kué ) also! The centre, signifying bursting prosperity, stir well until melted the stove been tested achieved! More ideas about steamed cake is more watery better to stir after steaming, let cup! Me, this is one of 100 delicious, sure-to-use recipes from Oetker. Of batter will make the steamed rice cake protein flour, it like! Low protein flour, it is springy in texture and taste leaf and coconut fragrance! You do n't need to plan at least 90 % full different.! Otherwise you will get burnt by the steam Fatt Kueh is smiling real wide!. Just takes a longer time to prepare pau flour, instant yeast until well combined past few to! Rice, and yeast to ferment pau flour, it is springy in texture and taste } ) steaming let! Greased scissor to cut a few slits on the batter onto the basket until it a. Food BLOGGERS and FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK Group daily prosperity huat Kueh is very chewy, and yeast to ferment set... Least 90 % full Chinese New Year is not enough, add yeast.