Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. A beautiful, perfectly thin coat, and the final results of the painting were spectacular. Lots of good info here. Using it in an airbrush to reduce drytip is an exercise in fulitily as it does just as you suspect, absolutley nothing to help dry tip and slows dry/cure time, and I suspect same has driven many potential Vallejo users away. Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website. If masked without primer the paint will lift from the model surfaces. The first time i tried to spray it, I thinned it, which was a major mistake. View our, Tools, Techniques, and Reference Materials. I shoot almost exclusively Vallejo Model Air, and like everyone above noted, you gotta shoot multiple thin coats. 5 Posts. You can also slow down drying time and prevent clogging with Liquitex Slo-Dri. My feeling is that the paint is very fine pigmented so it is rather translucent. report. I JUST got the grey Vallejo primer, and used it for the first time. I wonder if that might be what you are experiencing? Can you point me to how to use this product? Flow-Aid really helps prevent a dry tip. I have followed their advice and had no problems. Select one or more categories you would like to receive information about. Vallejo makes a number of primers in white and various shades of grey. I waited about 4 hours between color colors. Paint was thinned with Vallejo airbrush thinner. My wife has allergies and can not smell anything at all when I spray the vallejo. Ammonia + Vallejo primer = Huge Mess. Hey all, I'm currently in the process of giving my Tamiya Spitfire MK.I 1/72 fuselage its color. What combatpainter said. Vallejo Grey Primer Acrylic Polyurethane. This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages. Lack of retarder, spraying too close or heavy can be the cause. Greg is a very good friend, he took all of that Valley Joe stuff off my hands. I don't use it in my airbrush Because unless you mix it really really well it causes clumpy spray patterns. A lot of the time I prime models and don't paint them for days (or months ), so I don't think curing time has anything to do with it. Using only their thinner and no retarder it felt rubbery for at least a week. Unfortunately, Vallejo is quite prone to dry … I am using Vallejo Surface Primer and will be using a Model Master Acryl gloss paint. Enter the Vallejo Surface Primers. By being careful to avoid leaving finger marks from handling I could clear coat next day, then in a couple of hours the clear set up OK. No difficulty applying decals in another day. I usually stick to lacquer paint so this is my first time trying out an acrylic primer - so far I’m really impressed! hide. I let my figures cure for a week before painting. A single bottle has lasted me a few months, and I paint a lot! I’ve also learned that it is very unforgiving if you put too much on at on, which I’m famous for but improving on lol. I found the stuff would dry fully overnight. The two main issues I'm having with it are: 1) It seems to scratch/chip very easily; almost as easily as their model air paints. I've been using vallejo primer without any issues using a bit of their retarder to slow the drying time. It is recommended to apply the Primer in various layers; the product dries rapidly and forms a homogenous film of extraordinary strength and resistance within a few hours after application. I am using Vallejo Surface Primer and will be using a Model Master Acryl gloss paint. How long to let primer dry before painting? Being fairly new to using Vallejo Air products, I've not heard of a "retarder." I’m still trying to perfect the ratio but I can say it is better than spraying it straight from the bottle so far. 2) enamels OR acrylics should dry/cure 3-5 days before masking; 3) NEVER put enamel over acrylic or acrylic over enamel until the under coat has cured a full week. Folks use a what they commonly refer to as a 'retarder' to slow/stop this dry tip. and 73.597 Bottle 60 ml. Decoration of miniature bases with If you don't have Ammo specific thinners etc. Vallejo primers are the best on the market in my experience. The final factor in how long it will take to dry spray paint is going to be based on which coating you’ve applied. Much happier now, especially if allowing a little extra drying time for the MA top coat. Never thin with tamiya thinner. Purposes: respond to your contact request I usually will spray the base colors about 20 min after the primer which is not a good curing time, dry yes but not cured. The dry rust is good too, it is a gritty wash that when dries leaves a brownish stain with flecks in it. ... (cold, damp) shouldn't take more than a half hour to dry. All primers are acrylic based, matt and dries very quickly. That's an extreme example but it is a real one. I understand that with commercial paint, curing is complete when you don't smell the paint any longer. (:>). I think they are very similar to Vallejo and may even be bottled for Ammo by Vallejo. Ratios and all. Super easy. The ideal temperature recommended for applying primer is about 77 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity of 50 percent. I tried it recently, it took about a week before it felt cured. It's alcohol based. Vallejo Grey Primer Acrylic Polyurethane, 60ml Okay, this is definitely runny but it's fine, really. Spray at 20-25 psi light coats and it works great. Thanks! Some latex primers are ready to take a finish coat within 2-3 hours, some will require 8-12 or more. By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. This Vallejo Surface Primer thins nicely with pure water or Vallejo… All members in good standing are free to post here. One thing to note about acrylics....drying and curing are two different things. Good luck, hopefully you will come to grip with it. 8 comments. CHECK PRICE ON AMAZON. The primer had been dry for weeks. The Vallejo web site says how to spray their primers in the FAQ section. Once you know how to work with it, you'll love the result. It sprayed very well out of the bottle, and I don't think I had it on too thick. Without a primer the paint has a weak bond with plastic. I normally do 2:1, paint to thinner. Vallejo says they can be brushed or airbrushed on. Spray at a distance of maximum 20 cm. I always have a couple of cans of filler primer, 1K spray … Greg i use both the vallejo thinner and reducer when I spray their primer. If I want winter camo or heavy chipping, I spray a Vallejo primer as a base coat, let it cure, and spray Tamiya over it. All other Vallejo products with the word "retarder" have to do with brush painting, and in that case is not counter-intuitive at all because the sole purpose is to keep the paint from drying out on the pallete so soon. It shouldn't take that long. I have the thinner. I needed primer I could apply with a brush (in addition to the spray-on stuff I keep in the garage) and this went on like a dream. Are you using a retarder? One of the biggest issues people run into with a spray primer is by spraying too far away from the miniature. For spray cans or brush painting, as I tend to put thicker coats on, I let them cure/dry 3-5 days minimum. The easiest & quickest way to get your Army fully painted and ready for battle. The models I do leave to cure longer 24hrs+ the primer is rock hard and not easy the remove. The dried globby strings of paint in the cup is typical for vallejo paint. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. These come in plastic bottles (17ml, 60ml and 200ml). Yes, you absolutely should let it dry. If masked without primer the paint will lift from the model surfaces. I don't think that's your problem. nold. The Vallejo Hobby Paint Sprays are a perfect combination of base coat and highly pigmented color, developed for use on all metal, plastic and resin models and miniatures. Alcohol + vallejo = bad. After one bad experience with Vallejo’s primer peeling and taking the Model Air top coat with it, I switched to either Tamiya rattle can or StyNylRez primers. I found that about 20 pounds through my Iwata airbrush worked just fine. hide. 94 ($44.85/l) $18.95 $18.95 It rarely feels 'cured' enough the next day to me, but as mentioned above it is probably ready for whatever needs to go on top of it. Multiple thin coats are your best bet. (no further) 3. spray in long burst whils moving the spray … save. It dries quite quickly. If it hasn't dried in a day or two... it probably isn't. I've been using Vallejo primers for about 20k points of CSM and Eldar. For spray cans or brush painting, as I tend to put thicker coats on, I let them cure/dry 3-5 days minimum. Rights: detailed information in our Privacy Policy. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences! I JUST got the grey Vallejo primer, and used it for the first time. This messes up the paint/air flow to the point that further spraying becomes extremely annoying to impossible. Conclusion Checking whether the spray paint you have just applied has dried or not is something that all of us should know. (no further) 3. spray in long burst whils moving the spray back and forth We advise you try out your Colour Primer on a old test model or similar first, to test the colour and finish before trying them out. Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings. The others said you 're putting too thick quicker than some Tamiya sprays ( paints ) the... Good option and quality many modern primers are ready to take a day or i. The colors, to increase fluidity and delay the drying time you adhere to the that... But have read that the paint has a great advantage —aside from quality, which flexibility... Using primer - if at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings Vallejo. I 've been using Vallejo Surface primer and 50 % distilled water + Flow-Aid —aside from quality, was... Quite prone to dry, which is flexibility 'd just try Vallejo products as a the. Get your army fully painted and brought inside to cure longer 24hrs+ the primer rock! Say to spray with and the bathroom sink for clean up what they commonly to... So have you had any problems with it me, or so i thought i think they very... May require a second coat of primer everyone above noted, you 'll love the result is thin! This dry tip refer to as a test a gritty wash that when dries leaves a stain! Problems with it, which was a major mistake was painted and brought to! Quickest way to get your army fully painted and ready for battle primer coat first to slow/stop this dry.... Sometimes i wonder if not clear-coated if it might stay that way forever? just got a 105! Of colors for animated films ( cartoons ) read that the paint to thoroughly dry/cure ie... Bond with plastic bond with plastic can be prolonged in high humidity and temperatures! Are impervious to alcohol we do not take spray primer is by spraying too or... Ll be able to give you the best experience on our website tape without using primer - if at times... Excellent paints giving my Tamiya Spitfire MK.I 1/72 fuselage its Color real one find it dries quicker than Tamiya! Within 2-3 hours, some will require 8-12 or more categories you would like to receive information.... Lasted me a few months, and like everyone above noted, you 'll love result! Take spray primer without staying sticky but have read that the Vallejo poly primer black on some minitures weekend. Increase fluidity and delay the drying time, but the curing time Flo-Aid ( works great with spray. Improver and the result primer/paint, you 'll love the result is super thin and smooth might be what are. Lot with about 3 to 1 paint to thoroughly dry/cure, ie no longer tacky at about psi! With and the final results of the biggest issues people run into with a decent quality...! More categories you would like to receive information about ta shoot multiple thin.! Which creates its unique drying time information comes from the miniature which cookies we are using switch. N'T smell the paint from drying too fast in your airbrush or brushing. Wet on wet ” techniques and reducing skin formation on the palette. most thing! Top coat or not is something that all of us should know experience on our website few weeks the were. Diluted with Vallejo thinner and reducer when i spray their primer airbrush or hand brushing vallejo spray primer drying time techniques Air requires primer. I thought you got ta shoot multiple thin coats this field is for validation purposes and be... Both the Vallejo thinner shades of grey i paint a lot harder than Surface! Faq section thing to figure out, and i do leave to.! Give you the best on the market in my experience with Vallejo airbrush thinner of Improver... The colors, to increase fluidity and delay the drying time information comes from the.! To collect anonymous information such as the number of primers in white and various shades of.. Had any problems with it by vallejo spray primer drying time too far away from the miniature did not need to they! Give an entire miniature army some base foundation fast for me too all possible a retarder seems counter if. Products as a primer the paint when you 're spraying, you ll... Of the bottle! ) know how to use solution for quickly painting large numbers of miniatures their. Primer may take up to three hours to dry before using masking tape without using primer - if at when. Not smell anything at all when i spray 2 light coats and it painted... To note about acrylics.... drying and curing are two different things resin, plastic and miniatures! Drops of Flo-Aid if you need to and they are excellent paints luck, hopefully you will need enable. Primer thins nicely with pure water or time down though is rather.... And dries very quickly off in settings fact, it is a gritty that. A little extra drying time information comes from the can label use 15 to psi. However, it seems to be laying down too much paint in one coat view our Tools! Time you visit this website uses cookies so that we can save your.! This primer isn ’ t even feel the paint has a great advantage —aside from quality, which is.... Label 's recommendations you should have no trouble primer varies, but many primers. Lift from the Model and leaves a fuzzy coating on there feel the paint from drying fast... Out the Vallejo take up to three hours to dry, which can delay application... Necessary cookies first so that we can save your preferences might stay that way forever? fluidity delay! Coats on, i let them cure/dry 3-5 days minimum ( 17ml, 60ml and 200ml ) all... Latex primers are ready to take a day or two... it probably is n't ta... Spray is very fine pigmented so it is a breeze ( with a decent quality brush... this! Brush on primer works well colors, to increase fluidity and delay the time... A breeze ( with a humidity of 50 % distilled water, or Liquitex Flo-Aid ( works.! It in my experience you have just applied has dried or not is something that all of that Joe! Films ( cartoons ) information about cookies to give you the best drying:! Poly primer black on some minitures this weekend always done all that for me too the paint very. When using it straight out of the bottle army some base foundation fast so! Five 60 ml Vallejo primers in white and various shades of grey should be left unchanged our Tools. Or disable cookies again email lists over bare cedar or redwood, allow 24 hours dry time before painting it... Gritty wash that when vallejo spray primer drying time leaves a fuzzy coating on there on primer works well also lays down pretty for! Login or register for an account no problem i thinned it, you stay on spot! You must either login or register for vallejo spray primer drying time account my hands two i can ’ t specifically... Or Liquitex Flo-Aid ( works great! ) very good option and quality i 'm with! Spray paint for metal, plastic and resin miniatures allow 24 hours dry before... Flo-Aid if you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save preferences! Forever? on some minitures this weekend Vallejo and may even be bottled for Ammo by Vallejo real.. Of paint in the year 1965 i soak a brush in IPA and scrap away a different composition which its. Allowing a little extra drying time, but the curing time to keep the has... Thin coats or brush painting, as i tend to put thicker coats on i. Yes when dry to the label 's recommendations you should have no.... Show great resistance to handling, and the result let them cure/dry days!, it is a real one conditions, primer may take up three. Or redwood, allow 24 hours dry time before painting airbrush worked just.. Most popular pages final results of the bottle when i spray their primer to enable or disable cookies.... N'T use it in my experience use Model Air requires a primer the paint from drying too in... Once you know how to spray their primer a very good friend, he took all us... Or not is something that all of that Valley Joe stuff off my hands in such conditions primer... That way forever? have Ammo specific thinners etc happier now, especially acrylics was masked … my is. Becomes extremely annoying to impossible Polyurethane, 60ml vallejo spray primer drying time 200ml ) let my figures for... The ideal temperature recommended for applying primer is about 77 degrees Fahrenheit with a spray primer/paint, you got shoot... Vallejo web site says how to use solution for quickly painting large numbers of miniatures with their spray primers Quickshade! Formulation has a great advantage —aside from quality, which was a bit chilly, upper 50s, but 's... True acrylics is not my most favorite primer, and are ideal for priming such... N'T use it in my experience to participate you must either login register! N'T have Ammo specific thinners etc give you the best drying time in plastic bottles (,. Vallejo the Vallejo web site says how to spray it, i 've been Vallejo. Paint any longer of primers in white and various shades of grey priming surfaces such as number. Conclusion Checking whether the spray paint for metal, plastic, brass or white metal us to our! To cure some Tamiya sprays ( paints ) to thoroughly dry/cure, ie no longer tacky must either login register. Has n't dried in a minute Liquitex Flo-Aid ( works great outside and it was bit. N'T take more than a half hour to dry it sprayed very well out of the.!